Governor Simon Lalong of Plateau has rebuked Saturday’s attacks on travelers and pedestrians around Rukuba Road in Jos North Local Government Area, where some persons were reportedly killed.
The governor rebuked the attacks in a statement by his Director of Press and Public Affairs, Dr. Makut Macham in Jos.
He said that attacks on innocent people, no matter their backgrounds, would not be tolerated in Plateau, adding that sponsors of such attacks would be dealt with to serve as a warning to others.
Lalong warned those bent on starting up trouble in Plateau to refrain from such as the government would not allow lawlessness to disturb the tranquility of the state.
He commended security agencies for their swift response, leading to the arrest of some suspects and the restoration of calm to the area.
He assured all law-abiding citizens of their safety as security had been beefed up around the area as well as the entire metropolis to forestall further breach of the peace.
He urged residents to remain vigilant and report suspicious persons and behaviour within their domains to law enforcement agencies for appropriate action.
The governor also directed the Secretary to the Government of the State, Prof. Danladi Abok-Atu, to visit the areas to assess the situation and ensure that those injured received adequate medical attention.
Meanwhile, spokesperson of the Police Command in the state, ASP Ubah Ogaba, also confirmed the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria.
Ogaba said that security personnel have restored calm in the area, adding that resident were already going about their lawful businesses.
He, however, said that details of the skirmishes would be made available later.